Stephenson Resort/Bayside Resort
Written by Margaret Kurth
In the 1940’s Camp O’Lakes Resort included the entire bay on the north side of the east arm of Potato Lake. In 1949 Mr. and Mrs. Hugh Stephenson purchased the land and one cabin on the west side of the bay from Camp O’Lakes for Stephenson’s Resort. The Stephenson family owned the resort from 1949-1954. They built three other cabins and started to build the owner’s house. In Fullers Golden Book of 1950 it was listed as the newest resort on Potato Lake with aluminum boats, refrigerators, and inner spring mattresses.
In 1954 Hugh Stepheson died and the resort was sold to Bill and Jean Remert and the name was changed to Bayside Resort. They finished the owner’s house and also built cabin 5 and 6 which were modern with indoor bathrooms.
In the 1960’s there were three changes in ownership. In 1962 Bayside was bought by Bob and Dorothy Olson and the rental rates were $55 – $85 / week. In 1965 Lorenzo and Janette Fox bought Bayside followed in 1969 by John and Sharon Goplerud. The Gopleruds built the lodge which had an apartment added over it that was rented. The apartment was later renamed the Tree House. The 1970 brochure described 7 cabins plus one deluxe trailer house, all completely modern and with its own hot water heater, modern bath and shower and gas heat. They had boats and in addition shuffleboard, croquet, volley and tether ball, badminton, horseshoes, archery merry-go-round, swings, and slides.
In the early 1970’s the property was bought by Norris and Terry Hokeness. At that time, they had 8 cabins, the apartment over the lodge, the owners house, and a lodge building. Between 1978 and 1983 they added two more buildings called the Chalet and Nordic. The lodge had a TV, videos, pinball, juke box, library, pool table and ping pong. In 1975 they started offering winter rentals for cross country skiing, downhill skiing, skating, and snowmobiling. Winter sports were certainly enjoyed by visitors to Bayside Resort!
In 2014 they changed from a full-service resort to seasonal rentals and continued that way until the fall of 2022. The resort was then divided among family members (Terry and her children) who will continue visiting the area for the next generation.
Information and pictures were provided by Terry Hokeness.